Puente: Captain Portola's expedition built a bridge here
in 1769 to cross a muddy arroyo. The town land was once
part of the 48,470 Rancho La Puente granted to John Rowland
and William Workman. These men arrived in 1841 as members
of the first overland wagon train to reach Los Angeles.
There was once an Awinga Indian village near the grounds
of the current high school.